Friday, March 8, 2013

I don't have much to say today. I think I am recuperating from the shoveling of the heavy snow.
Today is the writer's group meeting. I am looking forward to going, sharing and having an enjoyable afternoon. The people that I have met are very nice, laugh easily, and are fun to be around. We do share our writing and then critique them. I hope that it will make a better writer out of me.
We're in the middle of a project of writing a novel in a month, pledging to write a certain number of words per day for one month without going back, revising, or editing.
So I am falling back on some things that I have written in the past to share. The following is in tribute to the heritage of my son-in-law. His family's roots are in the Amish community.

The Amish are folk who call themselves "Plain."
Hard working, the proud things they disdain.
Black buggies drawn by chestnut horse
Reins held tightly to steer a true course.
Men wear yellow straw and black felt hats.
Girls in their bonnets, long hair in plaits.
Breakfast comes early, the chores need done.
Out to work 'ere the rising of the sun.
They use hands and pails to milk their cows
And work their fields with horse drawn plows.
They gather their crops to fill the barn
While women make quilts and knit with yarn.
Horse drawn wagon, piled high with sweet hay.
Out in the yard, children laugh and play.
Men folk gather when the dinner bell rings,
Sip lemonade on the backyard swings.
Scrapple, souse, schnitzel, and shoe fly pie
Gravy on potatoes fluffy and high.
From the smokehouse comes hams sliced thick.
Bread from the oven and grace is said quick.
Vegetables from cold cellar store,
Jellies, jams, and relishes galore,
Egg noodles, chicken fried crisp and brown.
Cold buttermilk to wash it all down.
Desserts are served; cookies, cakes, and pies.
Men leaning back with satisfied sighs.
Back to work until the sky grows dark
Then off to sleep in rooms plain and stark.

No comments:

Post a Comment