Saturday, January 26, 2013

Yesterday was a bit of a disappointment. I was to have gone to my second writers group meeting and it snowed, about three inches of the white stuff. The roads became more and more slippery and the snow kept falling. My anticipation for the meeting was snuffed out by the falling snow.
 My daughter and I cleaned the drive about eight o'clock last night, so hopefully we can get out should there be an emergency. Many times I think that PennDot pays someone to watch my drive and when I have finished (or almost finished) they radio the snow plow driver and warns them that I need more snow. Amid the rumble of the plow and amber flashing lights, they yellow beast lumbers closer and closer, trailing a white cloud of snow. The snow is tossed eight feet into my drive and the process begins again.
We are snug and warm. I love my wood burner. For the most part, it heats my home except cold, windy days, then the oil burner kicks in for assistance.
The following is an excerpt from the pages of something I am writing that I hope to pass on the memories of my nursing career.

Jill ws a manager of the medical/surgical floors in our hospital. She was always cold. Walking into her office was just a few degrees below a blast furnace. The office was a converted old patient room and had an attached bethroom. (The bathroom she kept as warm as a sauna.)
One winter morning I was coming in to work as a nursing supervisor, I noticed huge icicles hanging on the eaves of the roof. Jill hadn't arrived yet. I went into her office and shut off the heater in the bathroom. Going back outshde, I broke off the thickest icicle I could reach and carried it back into her office. The icicle was nearly five fet long and its base almost ten inches thick.
I stuck the base into the commode, trying to get it to rise out of the water to stand erect, but I could not get it to stand alone. I had to lean it to the side, the icicle's tip resting against the wall. Closing the bathroom door, I left her office.
A short while later, she strolled into the supervisor's office. She was still laughing and said, "You've had your fun, now kindly remove that icicle from my bathroom." She didn't need to ask. She knew who had placed it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment