Friday, November 26, 2021

Another Turkey and Thanksgiving Tucked Under the Belt

I was volunteered to host Thanksgiving at my house this year. For me who has lived alone for more than five years, it was necessary for a marathon cleaning spree. My house wasn’t a pig sty, but there were a few cobwebs and dust in the corners. Some furniture hasn’t been moved in quite some time and I haven’t cleaned behind the refrigerator in ages. I do have an excuse for the past year because of my open heart and triple bypass surgery which limited the amount of lifting I could do.

My kids came to my rescue, but then again, they volunteered me. Everyone pitched in and with the usual potluck type Thanksgiving meal with a menu of who’s bringing what, it went well. There was more than enough food with turkey, ham, stuffing balls, green bean salad, cranberry-Jell-O salad, mashed and sweet potatoes, pies and nut bread. The kitchen was filled with counter-top selections in buffet style. A spare table and folding chairs expanded the dining space into the living room.

Unlike past gatherings at my house, I allowed the fire from the wood burner in the basement to die Wednesday evening, because many times my house was too warm. Comments like, “Satan called and he wants his heat back.” Even with the firebox cold, we had to open a few windows. The roaster and several crock-pots cooking filed the kitchen with savory aromas generating heat. The combined warmth of 14 humans and one dog added temperature and windows had to be raised several times.

One thing remained the same old recollections were hauled out, dusted off, and shared. I don’t know how well my grandchildren listen to the stories of family history, but probably like I once did, not too well. One day they will kick themselves for not paying more attention. This is one reason I try to share what I can recall in my blog so that when we older members of the clan pass on, the stories of past generations will not die with us.

Before my kids left my house yesterday, they decided because I didn’t put up my Christmas tree last year due to being sick and in the hospital during the Christmas holiday, they set up my old artificial tree, strung the lights, and garland. Now it will be necessary for me to festoon the branches with the generous generational accumulation of ornaments. That in itself is a massive undertaking. The tree is eight foot tall and over 20 years old with a few branches showing its age.

Clean up and hugs completed a busy day for all; until next year, happy Thanksgiving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment