Monday, November 1, 2021

Fun Filled Sundae?

It was another lively Sunday with the two church services and Sunday school. What was unusual at the morning service was number the visitors. Eight strangers came into the sanctuary. Four of them had been here at least once, but have not been at a church service for quite some time. There were three couples and two ladies who were friends as first time visitors. I always try to welcome people and introduce myself. A few years ago, I’m not so sure that would be my modus operendi. My days as nursing supervisor pulled me part way out of my wallflower shell. As I tried to sell my books and share my blog spot it has cracked that shell even wider.

When the visitors took seats on pews where long-time parishioners usually claim, there was no problem. No one hovered over the “trespassers” waiting for those “newbies” to move. The regular churchgoers just chose another seat. There are some churches where violators of “their” usual seats could cause a near riot.

After Sunday school, I drove one of our older church members to his home in Everson. His vision doesn’t allow him to drive any longer. We had a great time talking and looking at the autumn-colored leaves. Even though there was no frost in our area yet, he commented that the coloring of the leaves was unusually bright this year.

After I dropped him off, I wanted to eat lunch instead of waiting to get home and cook something to eat. I really wanted my favorite Dairy Queen treat. I don’t allow myself to enjoy it too often because I have diabetes. My favorite infrequent treat is a chocolate ice cream sundae with wet walnut topping. It was delicious.

I finished writing for the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society’s newsletter Then watched a television program about a young girl from Oil City, Pennsylvania who was murdered before I tried to grab a nap.

Sunday evening I attended evening services and was glad to see several teens that were normal attendees for the Wednesday evening teen youth group meeting. They are the grandkids of my friend that I helped to can all kinds of vegetables and fruit.

It wasn’t a super eventful day, but it was enough out of the norm to be enjoyable. I guess when a person gets older, even a DQ treat can be enough to brighten your day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment