Monday, July 6, 2015


               

 

Twin Lakes

                While I was at the Twin Lakes celebration yesterday, I ate a Stromboli. As I talked to the servers, I mentioned that I was a writer and wrote some poetry. She asked that I write a poem about them. I can't remember the names, but here is my limerick.


We sell several flavors of Stromboli.
It's our pleasure to satisfy you wholly.
Fully filling the pastry,
They're hot and tasty
Come eat something great. Don’t be melancholy. 

                I was so tired when I finished my marathon to sell my books and pass out business cards at the Twin Lakes Festival on Independence Day. I didn’t sell a single thing, but I passed out flyers and business cards trying to interest readers into purchasing my detective mysteries. The first is Tommy Two Shoes: From Mountains to More and Tommy Two Shoes Entangled. BotCome eat something great. Don't be melancholy.
If anyone goes today, please tell them I kept my promiseCome eat something great. Don't be melancholy.
If anyone goes today, please tell them I kept my promise
Come eat something great. Don't be melancholy.
If anyone goes today, please tell them I kept my promiseCome eat something great. Don't be melancholy.
If anyone goes today, please tell them I kept my promiseCome eat something great. Don't be melancholy.
If anyone goes today, please tell them I kept my promiseCome eat something great. Don't be melancholy.
If anyone goes today, please tell them I kept my promise
Come eat something great. Don't be melancholy.
If anyone goes today, please tell them I kept my promise
h books are a collection of short stories that have the retired homicide detective from the Pittsburgh police force. His friends and relatives find themselves facing serious problems and Tommy being the naturally curious cop and good hearted person follows the clues and solves each case. He is aided by the spirit of his deceased Uncle Aidan LeClerc
                I wasn’t able to sell a single book, but my acting as a barker, drew people passing by to stop and see the books that our group of local authors had to offer. Everyone else sold books, so I teased that I wanted a cut on their take. I was kidding. The profit margin on books to a relatively unknown author is minimal, so how could I even ask.
                Most of the day, I was on my feet hawking. My feet and legs were so tired. The weather was great. My fellow authors were wonderful, and the people I met and chatted with were fantastic. I had one Chinese woman that was teaching her language to me. I was able to pronounce them after her, but she tried several and cannot keep then straight.
                One of the booths around us held a troupe of actors that was promoting a local play about Johnny Appleseed. Other authors around us dealt with Bigfoot and UFO’s. There was a blacksmith shop set up a few booths away. Another author one booth away sold books on the haunted locations on Route 30 and 22 in Pennsylvania. The ringing of the red hot iron being shaped by hammer and anvil added to the general atmosphere. Several tents down, a group of people represented the Renaissance Festival and were in costumes of the period.
                Away from our area, there were vendors selling almost anything imaginable, from food stuffs to metal workings, paintings, and jewelry. It was like a pay-as-you-go carnival.
                The only down side, and I mean that literally, was that one of our lady authors at our table had a knee replacement and had trouble getting out of her chair. Once she was up, she lost her balance and fell back into the chair. Falling backward, she knocked the other elderly woman who was standing there onto the ground. That woman had hip surgery, but it was fortunate that the ground was soft and that she fell onto her buttocks and not onto a hip. Both survived the incident and as far as I know there were no lingering after affects.
                I am looking forward to another year at the Twin Lakes Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment