Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Cheap Insurance

I’m glad that I chose to file the claim under my own car insurance for the accident I was involved in Monday one week ago. An old man in a small red pick-up truck backed out of a handicapped slot in the Wal-Mart parking lot and into the front of my car. He was parked in the slot closest to the front entrance of the store and as I nosed my car into the exit lane, he backed out. I only had time to hit the brakes before his rear bumper hit the front right corner of my car. Because the bumper of his truck was higher than mine, his vehicle slid up damaging my bumper, grill, and pushing my headlight and possibly my fender askew.

I drove directly to my insurance and filed a claim. Next I drove to my insurance company’s suggested collision center and had a technician evaluate and photograph my damage. He was able to give me a date to bring my car in for repairs. Since he told me that they would have my car for three days, I knew I would need a rental. Right next door to the collision repair shop was a vehicle rental company. I made a beeline to reserve a vehicle. I was finished with this whirlwind tour in about three hours.

Since then I’ve had the man in the truck’s insurance company call me. They did say that the man said he was entirely at fault and I courteously made arrangements for their agent to meet me and take photos for their company. She submitted them. She told me if the company hadn’t called my by Monday, to call them. I got a call from the man’s insurance company. They said that they’d evaluated the photos and planned to send a repair check of $1,500.00 to me for my repairs. I about choked. The man at the repair shop said $3,500.00 for the repairs. I told the person who called that my estimate was for quite a bit more. He began by saying if the repair shop found more damage, they could bill them later. I interrupted him by saying that I was already filing the claim under my policy. He sounded irked that I’d not called them to tell them. “You’ll have to contact my insurance company, not me.”

Just so you know, I don’t like the “Flo” television commercials either

 

No comments:

Post a Comment