Friday, March 18, 2022

Wednesday Woes

I cringe when I am asked to do something or to go somewhere on Wednesdays. Wednesdays are my usually busy days. I was called this past Tuesday by one of three writer friends to have lunch with the two others. I had to politely refuse. Wednesday mornings I’ve committed myself to working at the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. This week it was absolutely necessary because I needed to collect the key to open the building for Saturday. I’d volunteered to be docent for the facility. I had extra pressure this past Wednesday. I got a call from another dear friend and travelling companion to go with her for a doctor’s appointment in West Virginia. I felt really bad, but I was committed elsewhere and had to refuse.

The usual amount of work was waiting at the historical center. Cataloguing new items, recording obituaries and filing them away, as well as the other various and sundry things that needed completed. It always seems there is just enough that we never get finished. There is always another project that needs tackled or that we look for things that need improving. Much of the time it is rearranging books and archival storage boxes to create more room or to allow more things to go on display. We have some ledgers and items that haven’t seen the light of day in years.

I relaxed for a bit of time before I hustled off to work the van ministry for Wednesday evening prayer meeting and teen youth group. Our teens and youth are a vital part of our church ministry and an outreach into our community. The van provides needed transportation for many. It’s necessary to have a driver and chaperone. It was our Youth Pastor and me who answered the call. He drove when we picked up one older gentleman who no longer drives and the teens. He and I thought it was important that he knows where these kids live. Often as Wednesday evening there are more who need a ride home after they’ve been dropped off. On the return trip we had 9 teen riders and the older man. I drove and our youth Pastor sat in the back with the kids. It was a great time for him to have personal time interacting with them and not in a large group.

The van loop takes about 75 minutes total. As I pulled into the church parking lot, I glanced at the clock and thought we’d made it home early. When I said something to Pastor, he said. “I hate to burst your bubble, but I haven’t reset the clock.” We’d arrived right on time 10pm. Oh well…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment