Friday, March 25, 2022

 

Wood Working

When I see something that I like and think I can make it, I actually will try to make it. Being frugal, I try to do it on the cheap. One thing I don’t like to do is if I make it, I only like to create the prototype. One and done. It’s the challenge of making the pattern and shaping the item that intrigues me. One exception was the Christmas sleds. When I saw a handmade sled decoration and we were financially strapped, I decided to make and give those sleds as Christmas gifts. The sleds measured about 18 inches by 8 inches and were 3.5 inches high. The body of the sled was about 6.5 inches wide and made the perfect place to paint “Merry Christmas” with a winter scenes. I can’t remember what pictures I painted, but everyone said they liked them.

I’ve also made for two of my children a Nativity set and I am working on another for my third child. They’re a bit unconventional. For my daughter Amanda Yoder and her husband Eric, I made the characters Amish. The pieces are painted in traditional colors and the figures have no faces in an Amish doll style. There were several animals as in a traditional Crèche. I can’t remember exactly the number of pieces, but believe there were about 10 or 12.

The second Crèche I made was for my son Andrew and his wife Renee Largent Beck. It was while they were living in Amarillo, Texas. These figurines were in painted western garb. There were almost the same number of figurines, but I believe there was a longhorn cow as well as salesmen representing the Magi bringing gifts. It’s been years since I’ve made them and forgotten exactly what I made. The background manger was represented as a livery stable.

I have finally decided that it’s time for my youngest Anna Prinkey and her husband James to have a set. One excuse up to this point was that I’d run out of the wooden ends of fruit boxes I had difficulty finding more. A second excuse was that my table jig saw was out of commission. It would turn on and made a lot of noise, but wouldn’t cut well even after changing blades. Recently I was able to secure more wood and I also bought a new jigsaw for my birthday. Now I have no excuse. I’ve drawn the shapes for the “farm” Nativity on the wood, now I just have to cut them out and paint them. Anna requested the farm theme. PS, the tractor will be painted John Deere green at James’ request.

No comments:

Post a Comment