Monday, July 12, 2021

 

One Hundred years and Still Counting

Due to the Covid scare and kerfuffle last year our annual Rugg reunion had to be canceled and rescheduled for this year. The delay caused several of our more ill and elderly not to have survived to see the one hundredth Rugg reunion. Each reunion has been held in honor of the oldest Rugg member. Several years ago it was my grandmother Rebecca Rugg Miner's turn. This year it was in honor of Curtis Rugg.

One of those who passed away was Danny, our family historian. He was the keeper of the keys, the keeper of the lineage, the person who did the research on the beginnings and the trail of our family's arrival into the United States and their exploits.

I've written stories before about memories that I have of past reunions and tales of my aunts, uncles, and grandparents. I'm not sure if they will make an impression on future generations, but I have written those remembrances in case anyone cares to read about them. I wish I would have listened more closely as recollections that my mom, dad, and others shared while I was a child. In the past, no one had the time or took the time to write the stories down and now some of them are lost. Unless someone says something that sparks a tale and drags it to my memory, they will be lost. That makes me sad and upset with myself that I hadn't listened more closely.

One hundred years is a long time to carry on a tradition. Some things have fallen to the wayside to be replaced by others. Gone is the huge crock of lemonade that sat on the saw horse tables. There is still the tradition of the potluck meal, now supplemented by “store bought” fried chicken. There are still a wide variety of foods and desserts that wait to be eaten.

The Rugg men have aged and can no longer play a game of baseball, but there is a “bouncy castle” for the kids and a stream in which to wade. One thing hasn't changed, that is the joy of seeing the familiar faces of the family. They've aged, but they are now bringing their kids and grandchildren and share memories with them. It's wonderful to see the future generations that will hopefully carry on the tradition of reunions far into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment