Friday, November 23, 2018


Thanksgiving 2018 Tucked Away
As usual, I did the turkey for the annual gathering at my sister’s home of the Thanksgiving feast. I baked two pies as well, my usual pecan pie and I also made a peanut pie prepared like the pecan pie, but I added chocolate bits. It had a fairly good taste, but the peanuts lost some of their crispness. Since our dad Carl’s death, my brother Ken took over the job of making homemade, mashed potatoes. My sis Kathy made baked rolls and lasagna for the non-turkey imbibers. Everyone else brought salads, desserts, and side dishes. The vast array of food covered counter tops and a kitchen table. The eating actually was done buffet style and dining hall fashion with long tables that spanned her dining room and living room.
Still at home, while my turkey was finishing its sentence in the roaster, I had the privilege of cleaning the kitty litter. This chore made me thankful that my childhood wish of owning an elephant had never come true. And yes, I washed my hands before I handled any food.
After the meal at my sister’s home in Indian Head, Pennsylvania, I returned home with a plan to fully strip the carcass of the bird of its hidden bits of meat and make soup. I relaxed, watched T.V. and I cut up the vegetables, dumping them into the broth from the roaster. The pot is sitting on my back porch awaiting the cooking process tomorrow.
Being the masochist that I am, I decided to defrost my basement, upright freezer. I know that deer hunting season is just around the corner and needed room if… and when I bagged some venison. There would be soup to freeze if no one came to share the pot of soup with me at the holiday game night.
As I settled into bed last night, I began to count my blessings. What I have to be most thankful about is that my entire family is close by in the state of Pennsylvania. I have a warm home and friends that surround me. So many blessings that I cause me to be thankful for each day, I’m also thankful that my niece’s daughter Alyssa got engaged too. It’s all so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment