Monday, November 19, 2018


Believe in Ghosts?
This story isn’t quite a ghost story, but it is a hospital story and has sort of a ghost theme. Some have asked that I share hospital stories, so I will tell it anyway. I had just taken the body of a deceased person to the morgue and placed the cart in the cooler to await the mortician. I was completing the necessary information in the log book when I heard voices in the storeroom next door. The sound was coming through a connecting vent high on the wall. It was one of our maintenance men, Franz and Niecie, one of the female central supply techs. They were retrieving a bariatric bed. Bariatric beds are oversized beds for the larger sized patients. The bed was stored in the room next door, directly beneath the vent.
I walked across the morgue until I was underneath the vent. I cupped my hands around my mouth, making a funnel I moaned, “W-O-O-O-O-O-O! W-O-O-O-O-O!”
They immediately stopped talking. Then I heard Niecie ask, “Franz, did you hear that?”
When Franz didn’t answer right away, she persisted, “I said, did you hear that?”
Franz said “Yes! Yes I did.”
“What was that?” She asked.
I heard Franz shush her.
They were quiet and I could tell they were listening. So I waited. When I heard them start to move the bed in the next room, I again moaned, “W-O-O-O-O-O! W-O-O-O-O-O!”
Niecie said, “Let’s get out of here!” I heard the supply room door pop open and the bed rolled out of the room at a high rate of speed.
Later, when I met Franz in the hallway, I told him what I’d done. He laughed and said, “I didn’t know what that noise was. I knew the morgue was next door, so I thought at first it could have been a ghost. The second time you moaned, Neicie’s eyes bugged out. She grabbed my arm and almost climbed up onto my shoulders. I think she would have if I would have let her.”
            We never told Neicie, so  if you read this, I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment