Monday, November 12, 2018


One Thing After Another
My tasks, scheduled and unscheduled, started on Friday when I drove a friend to her appointment for physical therapy. While she had her right knee replaced, she developed a partially collapsed lung and still needs to use oxygen. Assisting her to my car, hanging on each side of her walker were small oxygen bottles that reminded me of pistols in holsters like the cowboys in a Western movie. The chore was made more difficult because of the rain. I also had to drive into her yard to park near her porch near the stairs and walkway.
She asked me to drive slowly, because she was feeling nauseated. Her doctor had recently told her that along with the collapsed lung, she had a urinary tract infection and possibly pancreatitis. After the therapy, we needed to stop to have her blood drawn for further testing and to pick up prescriptions for her urinary tract infection.
As we talked, I found that she hadn’t been eating well because of the nausea, so while she picked up her prescription, I hustled over to the cafeteria and bought a container of rice pudding for her to eat later as an addition to her diet.
Getting her home to her front door was another concern. I don’t have 4 wheel drive and because of the rain, the grass in the yard was slippery and quickly became muddy. I did churn up a few places in her yard, but got her close enough to her walkway it was easier for her to climb the stairs to her door.
Saturday, I was the docent for the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. During my 4 hours there, I didn’t have any visitors, but I wrapped the air conditioner in plastic to keep out the gusting cold wind that penetrated even through the outside cover. I was able to do an evaluation of possible feature stories for upcoming newspaper articles.
Saturday evening, I drove to Ohiopyle for the thank you dinner for those who helped during their Buckwheat and Sausage Festival. Pasta, salad, and dessert were on the menu. The meat sauce was wonderful. I think it must have been homemade. There were tomato seeds in the sauce. One of the men there who finished reading my book, “Addie” said that he really enjoyed it.
Sunday morning, I attended church and Sunday school. I was glad to get home for a break in the action and relax before going to choir practice and Sunday evening service later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment