Friday, November 30, 2018


Striking a Pose
Some of our hospital employees belonged to a union. They made the unfortunate choice of signing their first contract near the end of September. The incident I’m about to describe happened when their contract came up for renegotiation. A new deal hadn’t been reached as the contract time ran out. Some of the more radical members were complaining because they’d not reached a settlement and were talking strike.
The hospital hadn’t conceded certain details of the union’s proposals in the contract. It was nearing the middle of November and the more militant members were almost frothing at the mouth. Negotiations were not moving. The rank and file members were not yet willing to strike.
It bothered me to see these more avid union workers berate others, trying to intimidate them, so I started to talk with the more realistic workers. I didn’t pressure them, but just asked questions, “You know it’s almost Thanksgiving? Who’s going to buy your turkey for Thanksgiving if you go on strike? Is the union going to provide food for you and your family?”
I’d also go from another angle asking, “It’s getting cold. Do you want to walk the picket line in the snow? Do you want to huddle around a fire in a barrel to try to keep warm?”
As the negotiations dragged on, there were still some pushing for the strike “to show management our strength.” It was now the beginning of December. I was still continuing to talk with members who were my friends.
When I would hear a few people talking about “the lack of a contract,” I’d say, “You still have a contract. You’re still working under the old one. You’re not losing a thing, but if you strike, you won’t get paid.” Again, I asked questions, “Who was going to buy your Christmas gifts? Who’ll buy food for your Christmas meals? Is the union going to bake your cookies or buy your gifts?
“I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to freeze my hands and feet on a picket line. Have you ever tried to keep warm over a barrel fire? Wouldn’t it be good to work where it’s warm and earn money until the new contract is resolved?”
The more rational voices and minds prevailed. Everyone stayed warm and they were able to buy the needed things for Christmas. The new contract was signed in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment