Wednesday, November 21, 2018


I Want to Be Alone
When I was a nursing supervisor, I more often than not carried my lunch to work. With my hectic work schedule, the unexpected often happened and I was never sure when I would be able to eat or if I would be able to eat my food in one sitting. Because of multiple times trying to eat, I found that “Tater Tots” were nearly inedible after the third time they were “nuked” in the microwave.
Most often I would try to eat and do my paperwork at the same time. It was easier to complete eating my meal, doing my work, and having some quiet time in my disjointed schedule. One evening I was distracted as I carried my food to the microwave. I smelled onion cooking and I hurried to see what I was actually heating. My meal had no onions, but my salad was packed in the same type Tupperware container. I’d just made a “wilted salad.” I do have to say, that the limp warm lettuce wasn’t very appetizing.
The solitude of my office was a welcome retreat on a busy, sometimes frantic night. There were occasions that I was enticed to eat in the cafeteria when one of my favorites was being served. I liked to be able to chat with fellow workers and relax. But more often than not, I would have to get up and answer at least one page or a telephone call during that time.
The hospital provided a free meal on Thanksgiving and on Christmas for people who were on duty. The management came in to serve the food to the men and women who were on duty. I know it’s Thanksgiving, but the tale I’m going to share was for a Christmas meal. A newly-selected, higher echelon nursing manager was seriously gung-ho in her actions. She was there smiling, circulating, and not actually serving the food. I went through the serving line selecting my meal. Christmas music was playing in the background and I chose to sit in a quiet corner. When what to my wandering eyes occurred; yes, she came over and sat with me. If she had wanted to chat about things in general…but she began to “talk shop.” That was the least thing I wanted to do, but her attitude couldn’t let go of business, even for one evening. I was so glad when she got called to the phone. I snatched up my tray and made a bee-line for my office to finish eating in peace.
I pray that all of my friends, family, and readers have a wonderful day for which to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment