Monday, November 5, 2018


Into No-Man’s Land
Friday, an old friend of mine needed a ride to a temp hire agency to complete necessary paperwork and to view safety films for his new job. He was to start Monday. How could I say no? I picked him up at his home and we drove to Youngwood to the temp office. I brought a book to read while he did his thing. While we were there, I did meet one of the secretaries with whom I worked at Frick Hospital. That was a pleasant surprise.
This is the friend with whom I made a missionary trip through the northeast states, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland/Labrador many years ago. Since then, we’ve talked on the phone, but this was the first time I could actually help him. After his appointment, we went to lunch and talked a bit more, catching up on the past. At home, catching up on my laundry completed the day.
Saturday, I was lured into cleaning my refrigerator. Cleaning the fridge is a land no man wants to enter. It’s a rare occasion that I actually take things out, read the expiration date, wipe the shelves, and throw things out that are no longer edible. There was a saying at the hospital, “Anything found in the fridge that is green and shouldn’t be and anything brown that should be green, toss them out.” Nothing in the fridge was that bad, but I now have several scarcely populated shelves.
I also finished an experiment. For those who argue whether the proper way to hang a roll of toilet paper, over or under, I must share. I accidentally hung a roll the opposite of what I normally do and was too lazy to remove it and change its orientation. The tissue came off the roll in much the same manner from either position. The only disadvantage I found was locating the loose end when I needed to start unfurling some of the tissue. Other than that, both ways work. When my kids were still at home, I was just thankful that there was a spare roll in the same room as I was. I did hang the new roll correctly.
I’ve been picking at a crock-pot roasted chicken. I’ve made chicken and baked potato, chicken and gravy over crescent rolls, and chicken and gravy over homemade biscuits out of its carcass, and I still have half of a chicken breast. It may go into the freezer until I feel like indulging in chicken again, but that leads me into another no-man’s land… defrosting the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment