Monday, April 2, 2018


Pirate’s Home Opener
This morning as I cleared the snow from my walk and driveway for the umpteenth time, I heard two robins somewhere in the bushes at the side of my property. I’m sure it was the female robin saying, “See, I told you it was too early to return to Pennsylvania. But no-o-o-o, you had to be here for the opening home game for the Pittsburgh Pirates. The same thing last year, you didn’t listen then and I almost got frostbite. Just once I wish you’d listen to me. I could still be on the beaches in Florida working on my suntan.”
Just a bit of a tease, but I am weary of the snow. We were blessed to have great weather for Easter. I spent the morning at my son’s church, Brownsville Baptist and met fellow worshippers there. Our pastor emeritus, Skip Kessler covered that church while they were searching for a new pastor. I knew many of the names, but I was glad to connect faces and names. Their Pastor, Tom Dallas with his wife Sophia and his four sons, I’d met before. They attended one evening of Mt. Zion’s revival services. It was great to meet him and his brood again.
Pastor Tom gave a stirring sermon on one of the women the Bible mentions, Mary Magdalene. She was the woman Jesus cast out 7 devils and freed her from their grasp. She became a faithful follower of Jesus and was one of the first people to visit the empty tomb. The message was on Mary’s initial feeling of disbelief.
While I am on the subject, the Bible and Christianity give women a special place in its texts. Not always subservient as some would lead you to believe, but special, no matter their past: Rahab, Ruth, Mary, Martha, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of Jesus and Lydia. Many women are discussed, some good and some bad. The Bible also shares the virtues of a good mother and wife.
After church, I had lunch with my son Andrew, his wife Renee, and the grandchildren, Celine, and Moriah. We had a great time talking and eating. Too quickly the time passed and I wanted to get home for the evening services. Our Pastor had a message on Mary Magdalene too, but his approach was centered on Mary’s weeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment