Monday, April 9, 2018


A Decent Docent
The whirlwind week and my nightmare from overbooking is finally at an end. It was a challenge, but this old man managed to get through it all with minimal damage. After a few minor adjustments I was able to get everything to work out. The changes came to a head on Saturday.
The Seedline project is an organization that prints the Scripture of John and Romans or the entire Bible I different languages to be sent and distributed by missionaries or teams that are sent to those countries to share the Word of God. The Gospel our church helped to assemble was written in Korean and the literature was distributed at the Winter Olympics in South Korea. One hundred thousand copies were shipped over and were distributed to those attending. Some may actually find their way north of the DMZ, but North Korean athletes were too heavily watched for the teams to share.
The John and Romans we assembled Saturday will be going to a missionary in the Bahamas. Our church assembled 8,900 copies in four hours. I was only able to stay for 2 hours before I had to hurry away for my duty as a docent at the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. I was the only person available to open the museum. After tossing out a dead mouse, I began to straighten and rearrange the displays, sort through cupboards, and make a general nuisance of myself. There may be some complaints, but that is what happens when they let me alone in the building unsupervised. I’d heard the museum use the word docent. I had to look up the meaning later. A docent is a teacher or lecturer and I was trying to fill some large shoes.
Finished with my 4 hour tour of duty, I hustled to my daughter’s house. After my daughter Amanda Yoder’s surprise birthday on Friday evening, I was to host the delayed Easter meal of create-your-own tacos, but a slow running commode caused me to shift the meal to her home again. All of my children and grandchildren were able to enjoy the meal and time together. Amanda got to use her birthday camera to record the event.
That left only Sunday and the usual church services and Sunday school. The day passed slowly, sort of a decompression after the long and busy week.

No comments:

Post a Comment