Wednesday, April 4, 2018


Not Nearly as Cold
A diehard friend of mine persuaded me to go to the home opener game of the Pittsburgh Pirates again this year. I was worried because last year, 2017, it was really cold. As usual, when I go to PNC Park, I try to stand out with some type of unusual garb. Last year, because it was so windy and frigid, I piled on the layers and even bought hand warmer packets to avoid frostbitten fingers. I wore several layers of socks, pants, and besides my fluff parka I had a red hooded sweatshirt and wore a Santa hat.
I don’t know if I made it on television with the almost Santa garb, but I didn’t develop frostbite. Our seats were out of the wind, but when we went to the restroom or concession stands, the whipping, frigid wind chilled us and it took quite awhile after we returned to our seats to feel relatively warm again.
Opening day 2018 was greeted with some worry and concern. The meteorologists warned of 4 to 6 inches of snow until 10:00 am and 10 was the time my friend wanted to leave. “It’s supposed to be 40 degrees by the time the game starts,” she shared.
It may have made it to 40 degrees, but the fitful breeze was blowing in off the Allegheny River made the temperature seem much colder. The breeze in the levels by the restrooms chilled as well. I think the concrete keeps the chill and shares it during the game. The restrooms were warm, but I haven’t stood in lines that long with so many men since I was in the Navy over 40 years ago.
I donned my familiar Col. Harlan Sanders attire wearing several layers to keep warm. My travel companion made large signs for most of the Pirate players. She was holding up the sign when Colin Moran hit the grand slam home run and I was on television when the cameraman shot photos of my friend’s sign.
Each time I left my seat and on my exiting the park, I was hailed as “Colonel.” In the seats directly behind us were several gentlemen from West Virginia. They caught on and asked where their chicken was. Coincidentally, just before they asked, I found a KFC receipt in my jacket pocket. I held it up for them to read and said, “It hasn’t arrived yet.” They laughed and we chatted off and on throughout the game. I told them that two of my Tommy Two Shoes Mysteries happened in West Virginia. Pirates won against Twins 5 to 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment