Saturday, July 9, 2016


Another Slipped Cog

Yesterday, I was trying to finish another story for my new book after being awakened by a telephone call at six a.m. when I had at least thirty minutes more of sleep planned. Of course it was a friend I hadn’t talked to in years. He needed a shoulder to cry on. His girlfriend had been stealing from him and was spending the money on drugs. He was heartbroken. His voice filled with sadness. How could I hang up when he needed someone to listen?
He did most of the talking and I only made a few generic comments of “Sorry to hear” and “Wow that has to be hard for you.” My day was a jumble after the phone call. You know, the best laid plans of mice and men.
My blood sugar was up which upset me. I try to eat healthy and had a peach for my evening snack and it kicks my blood sugar up forty points. Last night I ate a beef stick. I wonder what it will be today.
Back to my narrative, I worked most of the morning to pull together the ending of the story, then to reread and polish off rough edges. Editing my own work seems tedious. I already know the ending.
I was hurrying because I was to go to the Foothills writers meeting in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. I decided to quit and grab a shower when my phone rang. It was another friend who doesn’t have a car and occasionally needs someone as a chauffeur. He had a doctor’s appointment for one o’clock and could I drive him. He saw the doc earlier. There was a small patch on his skin that was diagnosed as skin cancer. The appointment today was to have it removed. He had no other way, so I became the designated driver and my appointment at the meeting went the way of the Dodo bird.
With all of the change in my plans yesterday, I forgot to post on my blog. I am trying to rectify that this morning. I apologize to anyone who was disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment