Friday, April 3, 2015


It’s Finally Spring

It seems that it has been a long time in coming, but I think that it has finally arrived. I am sure that there will still be a few temperature potholes ahead, a few frosty bumps, and maybe even a snowflake or two, but there promises that spring is bursting forth.

I can see the swelling of buds on the tips of the trees. Several of my crocuses have pokes their beautiful blooms above the soil, purple and golden. The miniature tulips are pushing out their leaves. Soon they will be blooming.
The tulip stalks on these plants only grow to a height of about 6 or 7 inches high with the flowers that are 2 inches in length. I didn’t know that tulips were that small until mine grew the first year. I was used to seeing the much taller plants.
The Coltsfoot plants have shot up overnight, flowering with their sunny yellow blossoms. They make way for their leaves to emerge later.
After attending one of my writers meetings last evening, I arrived home to be serenaded by a chorus of peepers. The peepers are a colony of small frogs that inhabit a swampy area behind my home. Their regaling and singing says it’s springtime and mating season. Several tart the process, but later, I can hardly sleep with a window open, their songs swell to a constant barrage of peeps, trying to outdo each other.
Yesterday when I rained, it had the smell of summer dust being settled by the falling drops. That held the memories of summers past and the promise of the summer to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment