Wednesday, October 7, 2020

 

Feeling Lost

After returning from nearly two weeks on vacation in California I had so much to catch up with. I’d neglected my BlogSpot and had to put the finishing touches to the newsletter for the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. The information for the newsletter was time sensitive and couldn’t be delayed any longer.

When the woman who had been editing and producing the newsletter unexpectedly bowed out I was asked to assume the responsibility. It takes quite a bit of time to research and select historical items that are interesting and can be formatted into the space allotted. The story should also have some type of picture or photograph to keep the reader interested. Next I place information necessary for the society to function. After those announcements are inserted, the fill-in stories are chosen then edited to complete the pages and still be interesting. I try to keep the tales local, sometimes weaving regional stories with subjects like Thanksgiving, cranberries, and Christmas.

Much of what is presented in our newsletter is retrieved from the Historical Society’s files. Some internet research may be necessary to round out the article in an attempt to complete the idea and yet keep things with a local flavor.

The feature article in this newsletter is the version of an oral history from one of our area’s older residents. It was her recollection of her life as a child and into her adult life. It was necessary to change questions and answers into a flowing tale.

I didn’t post on my blog while I was on vacation. I don’t like to advertise that I’m away from home. I prefer to not find my house ransacked or surprised by having squatters living there. On my return, I posted on my BlogSpot every day, sharing the day by day adventures from my visit to California. The two things from my trip that left a lasting impression on me were the extreme dryness of the grass and the graceful beauty of the trees; the palm trees, giant redwoods, and the myriad of fruit trees. The woman we visited had pear, tangerine, orange, and lemon trees in her back yard. She also had three redwood trees that were only teenagers. She got them as tiny sprouts nineteen years ago.

Now that the Blogs are posted and the newsletter has been sent off for printing, I feel lost, not sure what is left to do. I think I’ll take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment