Friday, October 16, 2020

Backing Up to Tuesday

Last Tuesday, I drove to Connellsville to have lunch with classmates from high school. It’s a monthly greeting, meeting, and eating group, about twelve or so of us, with others welcome. We joke, laugh, talk, and enjoy a meal that we don’t have to cook for ourselves.

On the way there as I drove along, there was a little sub-sub-compact car almost up my tailpipe. I wasn’t speeding, but as I crossed the crest of a hill, lying across the road was a dead tree. It had fallen and completely covered my side of the roadway. The tree was about eight inches in diameter. I couldn’t stop quickly enough or drive over it. With the car so close behind me I made the choice to swing into the left lane. No one was coming and there was only broken debris on the side. I spun the wheel, crossed my fingers, (Hard to do with the wheel in my hands) and sped over the smaller chunks of the tree. It all happened so fast, I didn’t have time to pray for safety. I could hear the rumble of debris scooting under my car. I was too occupied with keeping my car on the road to worry about the guy behind me, although I did see him start to swerve and follow my lead. I don’t know what happened to him, but I know I didn’t see him in my rearview mirror again. So far, no oil leaks, no muffler sounds, and all of my tires remain inflated.

My Wednesday was routine with the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society workday. We sealed and labeled the newsletters for mailing to our members. I got the job of editor when the previous editor suddenly quit. The president asked if I would help and I accepted. It’s a challenging, but interesting function. Research in choosing an focal and local feature topic is the main thrust and filling it with other shorter stories keeping the history as local as possible.

As soon as I got home from the society, I mowed my yard. Later I went to Wednesday night prayer services. Thursday I made a quick shopping trip to get some ground beef. A friend gave me some peppers. I made some for supper and froze the others. I diced the rest of the smaller, mixed heat types of peppers, then froze them to use for cooking later.

On my way home from shopping, I stopped at my friend Jan’s house. She had some books for me to read. I picked up hamburgers for both of our lunches.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment