Monday, July 29, 2019


Three Day Vacation No Better Stress Test
My best friend and I have gone on several excursions in the past. When we decide we need a break, we take our vacations together. The outings are rarely longer than one week and many shorter. This mini-vacation lasted three days. Each travel trip has visited waterfalls of some sort. This trip’s beginnings and ending with stopping at a waterfall.
Friday, we motored (I’ve always wanted to use that phrase I’d read in the newspaper and thought it sounded cool) into West Virginia to the Blackwater Falls. The cascade was a medium sized waterfall that was only a short hike from the parking lot. There was a decent trail, fairly easy for this old codger to navigate. My friend usually takes her service dog with her, but because I went along to help, I became the service animal for her.
Tucked in between the waterfall tours were several other events she had planned. One of which was to stop at Seneca Rocks. Approaching the park we could see the tall gray exposed rock pillars that protruded from the tree-filled steep mountain sides. The rocks seemed stark against the bright green foliage of the abrupt forested mountain slopes. Little did I know that we were about to attempt the arduous trail climb to a lookout for a closer look. The trail is a total of 3.7 miles to climb to the top and to return tour vehicle. The trail was rough in many places with a 20 percent or more grade for me to climb. We hiked almost 3/4 of the way before my calves began to cramp forcing us return to the car. Hiking that far and no chest pains, I certainly don’t need a cardiac stress test.
Saturday morning, we made a walking tour of Romney, West Virginia. Because of my sore hips and painful calves our pace was slow but steady. We visited many historical buildings, cemetery, Indian mounds, churches, and Civil War battle sites to visit. Later that morning, we boarded the Potomac Eagle. It was an 8 hour train trip that wound through farmlands, skirted the Potomac River, and passed several pre-Civil War homes. We chose to ride in the Club Car and were served a wonderful meal. I was able to cross that off my bucket list.
Sunday morning we finished the walking tour of Romney, then attended church and Sunday school before our return journey home. Along the way, we visited several historic sites in Maryland and in Pennsylvania. Our last stop was at Cucumber Falls in Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania. It had been many years ago since the last time either of us had visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment