Wednesday, July 31, 2019


Flu
Last evening I had planned on filling in some details of my short three day vacation, but I fell asleep in front of the fan. I tossed a light cotton blanket over me so I wouldn’t get chilled and drifted off. When I woke, I was shivering and my teeth were chattering. The food I’d eaten earlier lay like a log across my stomach. Walking to my closed in back porch, I sat on a cedar chest used to store blankets basking in the warmth. When the shaking stopped, I began the search for the oral thermometer that I knew was still in the house from one of the kid’s illnesses in the past.
I knew that I’d seen it, but unless you can remember where, it doesn’t do much good. After several attempts I found it in tucked in one of the containers for pens and pencils on the desk in my computer room. MY temperature was 101 Fahrenheit, so I knew that I was under-the-weather with some virus or the flu bug.
All evening I napped and drank fluids. I wasn’t surprised to find that my blood sugar was elevated, but that only added insult to injury. The feeling of a log in my gut continued and I was restless. I took my evening medications and my dose of insulin and fell asleep.
I mentioned that I wasn’t feeling well to my kids and of course they were concerned. They periodically texted me to be sure I was still among the living. Late last evening, I had had an episode of nausea and was sure I was going to up-chuck. I managed to slip into bed again, hoping if I wasn’t moving around, the feeling would subside. It did.
Waking this morning, my temperature is down, the log in my gut has been reduced, and the feeling of nausea has moved on. Whatever it was that I had seems to be gone and believe me I’m glad. I haven’t had the flu symptoms in many years and I pray that it’s many more years before I have another bout.

No comments:

Post a Comment