Monday, July 15, 2019


Go Baby Go
Even though I have been battling a summer head cold, I still had commitments. This past Wednesday I was able to work 3 out of a 4 hour shift at the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. It was necessary to put the finishing touches to the newsletter and to get it to the printer. This past Friday was one full week struggling with the cough and congestion. My neighbor’s lawn and mine were looking scraggly. I cut parts of the lawns in shifts, so I didn’t wear myself out.
Saturday morning it was my turn to be docent at the Historical Society, to man the phones and to keep the lights on should there be any visitors. It’s not a demanding job, but necessary to be open and available during the promised hours of operation. While I was there, I stored the memorial plates from local churches and schools from one display case and replaced them with a collection of vintage ladies’ hats.
Saturday evening was the launch of the Loyalhanna Review. It is a yearly event to promote their magazine of photography and literary offerings of local artists. Full color photos and writings filled the many pages.
Sunday morning was church. I wasn’t feeling well enough to sing in the choir, but managed to stay awake during the service even though I had taken some cold medicines with my usual medications before going.
I didn’t stay for Sunday school. At 1:00 p.m. was the 99th Rugg Reunion. It is a yearly event that keeps alive memories of past generations and keeps family ties going. It was a chance to be reacquainted with older cousins and to meet new generations being added. Reunions are notoriously difficult to fund. “Passing the hat” for donations was an attempt to cover costs seemed to fail miserably, we began to use a “white elephant” sale to provide money. Each year, due to the wonderful gifts donated and an occasional bidding war, the funds seem to expand. Each item is wrapped beautifully. An attached, titillating note hint of the contents and the bidding begins. Several unique and expensive items weren’t wrapped, but offered for all to see the quality. A cutting board with a 99th Rugg reunion wood design, a framed counted cross stitch, a small maple chest with the Rugg name on the side, and a flash drive with photos and the family history dating back to the 1200’s were some of the items.
Even though I was tired, I went to Sunday evening services and choir practice. I felt I needed both.

No comments:

Post a Comment