Monday, October 3, 2016

Awake, Now to Write
I was wakened this morning by the electric hiccough of my digital alarm clock. You know, the soft sound the alarm makes right before it blares “good morning” even when the alarm isn’t set. I lifted my head, glared across my pillows and saw “6:45” staring back at me in its angry red numerals. Maybe it’s upset that I didn’t turn the alarm on or it may be upset that I may decide to ignore it and go back to sleep for a few more minutes. I’ll never know, because I don’t really care.
I don’t think I’ll be going out today unless my outlook on life changes. I’m not in a particularly grouchy mood, but I had a restless night, mouth breathing and waking several times for the old man emptying of my bladder and a desert dry mouth. I try not to leave the house when have a grumpy, ungrateful attitude. I’ve decided that no one likes dealing with a grumpy old man. So you may approach me if you see me out on the street or shopping at Wal-Mart, because I’m at least in a tolerable mood.
Today is my daughter Anna and her husband James first wedding anniversary. Yes, I did remember after looking on the calendar to see everything else that occurs in late September and early October. So, they have their card before the event actually occurs.  I missed my other daughter Amanda’s wedding anniversary, but did get a card in her hand afterward. At the same time I gave her the card for her husband Eric’s birthday and for their daughter Hannah’s birthday before the actual event.

I looked at my calendar and am cowering at my schedule for the next few weeks. Doctor’s appointments, meetings, and volunteer work at the Ohiopyle Fire Department’s Sausage, Buckwheat, and Pancake Festival. It is an event that I love to hate. I am worn out after frying sausage for two days, hanging over a hot griddle for nearly ten hours each day. I have served in some capacity at this event for nearly forty years. My father-in-law cajoled me into it as I stared to date his daughter, Cindy. Sge’s now a memory, but the work continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment