Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Aleo Lake Picnic

It’s all over for another year. The Chestnut Ridge Historical Society Annual Picnic is lodged in the annals of time. As usual, this annual event was held at the beautiful and picturesque home of one of our members. I didn’t ask permission, so I won’t share her name, but thank you very much for graciously opening your home for us again this year.

Her refurbished barn makes a perfect place to set out our covered dish feast, protected for the hot sun and any stray raincloud. Every member of the Society is always invited to attend and it is a time for all to sit, talk, and eat; strengthening our friendships and our commitment to keep the local history of the Laurel Highlands safe for future generations. It’s a great time of relaxation and getting to know fellow members.

The vast array of foodstuffs made it impossible to sample the different flavored dishes, but I made a grand attempt and my blood sugar was up a bit the next morning even though I made a valiant attempt to avoid the richest desserts.

The weather was wonderfully sunny, but two giant fans kept up cool and I’m sure if there were any flies, they were blown into the next town. Sadly this year, there was only one swan on the lake, but the entire grounds were manicured and in a wonderful presentation.

I’ve been helping to can green beans and cringe as I see the tomatoes hanging in clusters, waiting to be processed. There are rows of peppers that await gathering, beets and carrots that need pulled. There is a maze of cucumber plants producing cucumbers to be pickled or eaten. The corn rows are now in tassels and will soon be ready for harvest, but what scares me the most is a nearby relative’s garden has 40 + zucchini plants that are producing a bumper crop of the elongated and melon-shaped zucchinis. (This garden belongs to a new gardener, thus the excess of the zucchini plants. Lock your car doors.)

Today I’m feeling a bit weary and yet there are my home chores yet to do, but the rain outside only allows me to work indoors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment