Friday, July 15, 2022

Karens and Kevins

I’m not sure where those names for people unruly people were derived, but there are more and more videos of these people being shown. There are sites where they display only these screaming banshees in an almost unending parade. I haven’t decided yet if it is our “advanced” ability to record these incidents or whether it is the culture that we now live in that accepts the violence, insolence, and disrespect to another person. Have we cultivated narcissism and entitlement to this point? Have we lost the ability to care about another individual as long as we can get our way?

The closest that I’ve ever neared a “Kevin moment” in my life was at our infamous local Wal-Mart. It was during usual PRE-Thanksgiving displaying of Christmas items. I was continuing the tradition of buying a new Christmas ornament for each of my kids and grandkids and was wandering down the aisles in the converted “Home and Garden Center” from plants, fertilizer, and grass seeds into a dazzling Yuletide wonderland of Christmas cards, lights, bulbs, ribbons, and wrapping paper. It was a bit early for me to be shopping, but sometimes the decorations became picked over and the really cute ones were gone. I was strolling down the aisle pushing my shopping cart (buggy for western Pennsylvanians or trolley if you’re from the UK) I saw sections of pre-shaped outdoor bells, angels, reindeer, stars, and candles that could be hung on doors or the sides of homes. The next display section held Christmas tree toppers. Stars, angels, AND what should my wondering eyes appear, but a CHRISTMAS tree topper in the shape of the “star and crescent moon…” the symbol of Islam. What was it doing in a CHRISTMAS display section of the store? I was livid. I certainly didn’t think that it belonged in an area filled with Christmas decorations for the celebration honoring the birth of Jesus, the Messiah of the world. This celebration of the living Christ has nothing to do with Mohammed.

Yes, I did ask an employee why it was located with Christmas decorations. And yes he had no idea. And yes I asked to speak to a manager. I was less than cordial when I told him that it offended me when it was displayed with Christmas items. It did not belong there and needed to be removed. In the end he agreed to remove it. He was true to his word and placed it with items in the outdoor area of the garden center. It wasn’t removed from the store, but it was no longer displayed with the Christmas tree toppers. It was a small victory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment