Friday, April 8, 2022

 

Just a Little Means So Much

The older I get, the more I notice that many times it is the small things in life that people do mean so much to someone else. Small gestures of kindness may go a long way. Things that I automatically do may influence those around me. I sometimes will see sad-faced people while I’m out shopping and by saying “Good morning” or as I pull my shopping cart beside theirs, I say, “Do you want to race?” then I watch their frowns change into a smile. Even if it’s only for a few seconds, to me it’s worth it. One motto that I use is, “If I can’t make someone smile, I may as well stay at home.”

When my neighbors Fred and Doretta Brown were alive, I would gather mail from their mailbox and carry it to their kitchen door. Both were older and had health problems. It was no big deal for me, but I know they appreciated it. In the summer when I would mow my lawn, I’d circle my mower over to their lawn and mow it as well. It took a little more time and a bit of gas, but I liked to see our lawns looking nice. I didn’t want theirs to look ragged and uncared for. A few times when my mower was on the blink, they had their grandsons do my lawn as well. That was certainly welcome and greatly appreciated.

I didn’t shovel snow from their driveway. It was a struggle enough to keep mine clear, especially after the Pennsylvania Transportation Department snowplows drove by. They often refilled my driveway just after I’d finished opening my drive. Sometimes after the winter storms would dump heavy snows and strong winds would cause thick drifts, there were neighbors who owned machines with either plows or scoop buckets on the front. They would clear my driveway as well as many other drives along our road. That was such a blessing.

I was able to help pass out food boxes to veterans Monday. I enjoyed seeing these men and women getting recognition for their service to America. Some could barely shuffle as they got out of their cars, but all drove away with a full trunk and a smile on their faces. I smiled too, sharing that feeling.

I guess what sent my thinking down this path was I cooked several meals for my friend’s daughter who had eye surgery. I knew that she and her mom would have a long, tiring, and probably frustrating day. It was just small gesture, but they wouldn’t arrive home and have to make something to eat. It would already be done. They could kick back and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment