Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Like a Freight Train

Time is like a freight train, hurtling faster and faster. It seems each day something else causes me to reevaluate my life. Age causes me to adjust what I do and when I can do it and that upsets me. I once thought that I wouldn’t let the accumulation of days limit my daily chores and alter my life, but time has a way of making the most determined person eat his words. Time has a way of wearing down even the tallest of mountains, bit by bit, grain by grain. My flesh is all too quickly wearing out and I’m developing a deep and intimate relationship with arthritis and diabetes. I’ve just spent two restless nights unable to find a comfortable position to sleep. Each time I tried to eliminate one ache, another part of me says’ “That won’t work either, Buddy.” But like someone else has said, “If I didn’t wake up with pain, I’d think I was dead.”

The greatest thing is that I can look ahead to is a time where I will no longer have pain and not be limited by my flesh. It is a future event in my life where time has no meaning, where pain and sorrow will have no place, and where heaven awaits behind pearly gates. Each gate is a giant pearl and gold is so common that the streets are paved with it, only fit to be walked on.

When I look around and see the wonders displayed on the earth, I am unable to imagine what God has created in that eternal and heavenly city. It is a place where sin, death, and sorrow cannot enter in. It is a place where the corruption of rust and decay do not exist. So, even though there are days when my aches and pains override the thoughts of my new body and turn to ointments and medication for relief, I must not lose sight of the goal. I must not let the world continue to interfere with the sharing of the Good News to others.

The cost of our passage has already been paid. Easter is a time where we more closely can view the price God paid to redeem us from the grasp of death and eternal punishment. His only Son suffered terribly as He was humiliated, spat on, beaten, then hung on a cross like the most common of criminals. Jesus bore all of that so sinful man could be reunited with God the Father. Remember that love this year at Easter. Christ died for you and me. There is no time like the present to accept Jesus as your Savior.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment