Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Kinks

Monday was another day where one promise was interrupted by an appointment. I’ve shared before that a person backed his truck into the front of my car in the Wal-Mart parking lot and the visits I made to have the damage evaluated and reserving a rental vehicle. Yesterday was the day the collision center had me drop off my car for repairs, then I went next door to retrieve my rental vehicle. I’d already promised a friend that I’d help pass out food boxes for our local veterans. I managed to integrate the two fairly easily, but was worried over the weekend that things might not go well. I couldn’t break my promise to help our veterans who have done so much for us and I needed to have my car repaired.

I arrived early to help unload the food and other items. Placing the full palettes into a logical sequence for distribution is the key, then assigning one person to carry that specific item to the veteran’s vehicle. The good news is that all went smoothly and I was only away for about thirty minutes. When I returned, people were already arriving and quickly it was rush hour. We were inundated by the number of veterans arriving. Veterans had to preregister, and sign for the boxes of food, drink, and yes…we even had toilet paper. We did run out of TP before the last person came. Fruit, vegetables, dry goods, frozen food, milk, bags of onions, apples, and snacks were carried out to the vehicles. Many of the veterans were older, some barely able to shuffle inside to sign for their supplies. There were a few who couldn’t leave their cars and the relative would sign the roster. It was great to see the smiles on the veteran’s faces as we filled their trunks of their cars. It gave me a pleasant, warm feeling to see them being honored for their service. We did have one complaint. A woman pulled her car into the lot, but it was a bit farther away and we missed seeing her. Several other vehicles pulled in much closer and we serviced them. When she complained, I quickly began to deliver her supplies. As I walked one box to her car, she said, “I’m pissed.” I replied, “Then I’m glad that we have toilet paper today.” I don’t think she wanted to hear that and said, “That’s not funny.” Other than that, six hours went very quickly.

Tuesday I walked for nearly an hour and got my hair cut. I’m still sore from the lifting and the walking, but the aching means I’m still alive. I’m praying I can work the kinks out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment