Friday, October 28, 2022

What’s On the Menu?

I’m older now and there are changes that I have made in my life. Arthritis has made me doo things a bit slower and my hand grasps have diminished. It has caused aches and pains that’s eliminated some tasks altogether. A torn right bicep tendon has limited weight lifting on my right side and the impingement in the shoulder joint has caused the same thing on the left. I’ve shared before that I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgeries causing my grip to be further diminished. The procedures due to prostate problems and the woes of the triple bypass operation were other assaults on my body.

Recently as a routine follow up with my primary care physician, I had blood work drawn. The results showed my triglycerides were sky high, almost four times normal. I think it almost gave my doctor a stroke. She ordered an appointment with a dietician. My appointment was yesterday.

Alex was a very polite and knowledgeable young man. As we talked, I noticed a slight accent and being nosey, I asked. He then asked, “Where do you think?” His English was excellent which made me think he might be Canadian. I guessed Canada because of an almost French-Canadian sound to his words, but I was wrong. He was born in Russia. I can’t remember how long he’d been in the United States, but his accent was minimal. As he asked questions about diet and exercise, he thought that diet alone could not have raised my triglycerides to that level and we began to focus on my couch potato lifestyle.

After my triple bypass surgery I walked every day for almost a year, but I’ve allowed it to slip and it has been walking at Wal-Mart when I shop or walking to my mailbox and back to the house.

Next he addressed my sleep patterns and my stress levels, saying they also had a great influence on triglycerides, because the results of my other lab work was only slightly elevated. My blood had been drawn was shortly after I had the problem with double vision.

After completing multiple tests the doctors were no closer to determining what had caused my double vision that lasted nearly three weeks. During that time I was concerned as to what it could be. My greatest fears were, “Could it be a stroke or could I go blind?” After all of the testing, the doctors couldn’t give me a definitive reason. Worried? Stressed? I imagine I was.

At Alex’s request I started a daily log of exercises, menus, and times. I am now trying to regulate my diet, sleep, exercise, and stress. So don’t upset me. Housework stresses me, any volunteers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment