Wednesday, October 26, 2022

 

With Halloween so close, I decided to share a poem I’d written years ago.

Things

I see things in the darkness of night

Things that I cannot normally see

Imagination or second sight

Moving, creeping, closing in on me.

The air is still no current or breeze

The sliver of moon casts no light at all

Stark skeletal branches fill the trees

Subtle moans grow no matter how small.

Is it real or do my eyes play tricks

Movements or the shifting of my mind

Maybe it is neither but a mix

No matter, I will still look behind.

It seems much worse when I walk alone

Darkness surrounds moving ever close

Something stirs its origin’s unknown

My pulse races and my lead foot slows.

Pale mists rise, twisting, turning, swaying

What’s rests beneath, hidden from my eyes

Dark things, lurking things; all turn to gray

Silently waits and in darkness lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment