Friday, January 4, 2019


The Stripper
She stands in my living room waiting for me. Her limbs spread wide and waiting for me. She’s been waiting for me to touch her again. I last helped her with her holiday costume was last year. I carried the boxes that held all of her gaudy jewelry and glitter where they could be sorted through and then put in place. Many of her adornments are antiques and costly, while others are mere imitation and worth little more than a sentimental value. Her star once burned bright and she was at the top of her profession. Now, it doesn’t shine nearly as brightly.
When I show photographs of her, all my friends go “ooh and ah” over her beauty. She’s not as voluptuous as she once was and now is beginning to show her age. I started yesterday to help her put away her Christmas costume until she comes out of hiding next year and be welcomed again in tinsel town. Wrapped in lights, she hides her age well. Despite her advanced years, she stands straight and tall, no wobbles or sags.
If you haven’t guessed yet, I am the stripper… and removing the ornaments from the Christmas tree is the yearly task I like least. Each year, I tell my kids that I am only going to use the top three feet of this artificial tree and each year I cave. I drag the huge, coffin-like plastic storage container from the upstairs. One good thing has happened. Since it is only me and the cat Willow, I no longer store the chest in the attic, brave the frozen darkness, and ease the massive container down the retractable stairs.
Less than a month ago, I assembled the branches and arranged the limbs to resemble a live tree. Lights come next, then the white glittering tinsel. An old plastic star like the one that graced the top of my parents’ tree is fastened to the top branch replacing a lacey gold aluminum that could no longer be used. Next comes the hanging of the hundreds of ornaments that covers her shapely form. Ornaments that dangle, ornaments that rest on the thick places in the branches, and some that are the least breakable always are on the lowest branches, just in case Willow decides to play.
The stripping started yesterday. After removing the ornaments and storing them safely away, I removed the tinsel. The tree stands dark and forlorn, ready for me to finish, her lights dark and waiting to be removed. Each branch to be removed, bundled, tied, and laid to rest in its large blue container. Maybe I’ll use only the top three feet next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment