Wednesday, January 2, 2019


Happiest of Holidays
To all of my Jewish friends, Chanukah is over; to my many Christian friends, Christmas Day is now past, and to each and every one of my friends, 2018 is now history and the New Year’s celebration is over as we start a new year. I would have wished my only friend who celebrates Russian Orthodox Christmas, but alas, she too has passed away. I loved hearing her tell of all the bargains that she got, because she celebrated Christ’s birth twelve days after everyone else.
I also worked with a man who was Apostolic and corrected me when I wished him a Merry Christmas. “We don’t celebrate Christmas, but thank you for the thought.”
Rebuffed, I weakly responded, “Then have a happy New Year. I’m sure that you and your church have a new year.”
Yesterday, I tucked away the last of the passing year’s celebrations away. I visited a friend’s home for a New Year’s open house. She graciously allows her friends to gather and share all sorts of finger foods, snacks, and her usual, ham, macaroni and cheese casserole as well as memories, stories, and laughter. To lessen the burden for her guests bring various goodies to share: cookies, drink, salads, cheese, or vegetable trays. My celebration was a little hurried, because my son and his family were coming to visit at my house. My time with them was just a continuation of the festivities. I made the Pennsylvanian traditional pork, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. She brought the southwest traditional black-eyed peas, bean dip salsa, and corn chips. The celebration was also for my daughter-in-law Renee Beck’s birthday.
My mom always told me that whatever you do on January first you’ll continue to do all through the coming year. So, on December 31st, I did all of my laundry, I cleaned my house, and I cooked food to celebrate the New Year. I’m so happy that I won’t have to do laundry, clean, or cook in the coming year.
All that is left to tuck finally 2019 away is to take down the Christmas tree and to put away the two crèches that I was too lazy to remove and store from 2018. Do I hear any volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment