Friday, January 11, 2019


Keeping Promises
I mentioned several things on my Facebook posts that needed follow up to tell the full story. I looked back through my previous Blogs and wasn’t able to find them. I have so many stored from the past. They’re listed under titles and sometimes I can’t find what I want. My titles are often obscure and don’t share the facts that are buried in the text.
There are two stories I wanted to share. The first was in response to a cartoon about a person that was too hot under a blanket, too cold without being covered, but with the body covered and one leg protruding it was “just right.” My wife Cindy had the same attitude. She called her leg “her thermostat.” Most of the time, I had no problem, but in the middle of the winter, it would get icy cold. When it became too cold for her, she would draw in back under the covers and place against my back. The shock can be a real eye-opener in the middle of the night. The worst part was, she would immediately stick her other “thermostat” out from the blankets to cool. Oh how I miss that shock therapy.
The other story was a post saying, “Don’t tell me about your childhood problems, I was forced to watch Lawrence Welk as a kid.” Lawrence Welk was a staple our Saturday evenings. Just as sure as I knew the sun was going to come up in the morning, I was positive that my dad Carl would sit in his swivel reclining rocker directly in front of our black and white television to enjoy the music, then almost immediately fall asleep. I tried on many occasions to stealthily change the channel pf that old television to anything that was more interesting than music of an accordion or “The Shrimp Boats are Coming.”
As soon as I would click the knob, my dad would sit upright and snort, “I’m watching that.” My hopes dashed, I’d turn the channel back and we’d continue to watch Lawrence. One time, I thought I’d prove Dad wrong, I slowly turned his swivel rocker to face away from the T. V. Great planning, then click…the chair bolted upright with Dad sputtering, “I was watch…” His voice faded to nothing when he wasn’t facing the set. He returned the chair to face the television and we watched Lawrence Welk. Needless to say, Dad wasn’t pleased and tried to kick my butt as I walked past. He missed and nearly fell out of his chair. Although I still don’t like to hear the bubbly music, that program continues to have a special memory for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment