Monday, August 20, 2018


I’m Getting Older I Told Her
That is my excuse I am now using and I’m sticking to it. It’s not very original, but I’m learning to wield it quite well. If I forget my car keys inside the house and have to devise a surreptitious way to gain entrance, I don’t get mad; I just blame it on getting older. When I get to the grocery store and start to gather items on my list only to discover the list was still at home beside the spot where I found my keys hiding, it’s because I’m getting older. When I get up from my easy chair and my knees snap, crackle, and pop, it’s because I’m getting older.
Grabbing a nap during the Sunday morning service, I blame it on getting older. I haven’t tried this excuse with the pastor yet, even though I’ve nodded off on occasion. I’ve nodded off in the middle of a television program and missed the ending, now I can lay the blame on getting older. Making a meal out of a hot dog because I don’t feel like cooking for myself…I just blame it on getting older. When my new carpet and flooring were installed several months ago, I emptied two barrister cabinets and a large china cabinet and hutch. I stored them on my enclosed back sunroom and vowed that nothing would go back in the cupboards until my kids had a chance to sort through them. I was getting used to them being out there and almost forgot about them, because I’m getting older and wanted to ignore the work involved in returning then to their homes on the empty shelves.
My granddaughters have been using the empty shelves as a desk and to display their artwork. Today, that changed. The Herculean task has been started. Actually the precursor started yesterday. The packaging and storing of items stored in the upstairs bedrooms, were packaged, condensed, and stored in only one bedroom. The second hand stores are going to get a boost in their inventory this week. This gives me a room I can offer as a resting place for friends who might stop by to visit. I can offer them a place to sleep without worrying about them getting lost among the boxes and me forgetting that they’re in my house, because I’m getting older.
I was able to sort through the boxed items, selecting the ones I wanted to retain and return to the cabinets. The much lightened items were returned to the back porch for distribution at a later date. Perhaps it will happen before I’m unable to get any older.

No comments:

Post a Comment