Friday, August 10, 2018


Dinosaurs Still Live
I have an extremely Liberal friend who argues with me about almost everything: my politics, the Bible, building the wall, and even to what type of car, American versus foreign made. Other than being Facebook friends we have very little in common. One of his remarks today made me think that I may be a dinosaur; but there are millions of other dinosaurs like me; we’re not extinct.
When I say something that he disagrees with, he says “everybody” thinks the way that he does. What he means and what I try to explain to him is that the people he associates with may see things in the same light, but that isn’t everybody. Most of the people I associate with think in the same channels as me in politics and for the most part the Bible. Cars versus trucks are another matter.
Today, when I said something that suggested that America was better than is is now and at one time it was much less divisive, he said that America no longer exists. I thought about that and  shared, when the country wanders away from the principles upon which it was founded, it ceases to exist and becomes a country barely recognizable that leads to decay. Again he argues that America has gone on beyond that and will not go back. I proposed to him America’s forefathers based our Constitution and our laws on the absolute truths and the God given rights found in the Bible.
He uses the Bible by cherry-picking the verses and taking them out of context of the Scripture, to “prove” his point. When I share what it should really mean, connecting it to the verses that surround it, he says I twist the meaning. I still consider him a friend, but I’ve stopped trying to open his eyes.
Most of the time, he is so Left leaning, he’s almost horizontal. He argues that his views are always correct and much better than mine. So now, I refuse to argue with him. If he messages me with a CNN, MSNBC, DNC “truth,” I merely agree with him saying. “You’re so intelligent... If you say so” and a myriad of other phrases agreeing with him. The peace is a balm to my soul.
Several times before, I have tried to ignore his messages. When I didn’t answer, he became testy and argued on line in Facebook. I am hoping this attempt to avoid arguing with him while acknowledging him will suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment