Friday, October 25, 2013


Knock on Wood
I really feel for this maintenance man. I just got over the flu bug. I had a headache for two days and had two days of intense muscle and joint pain. I was miserable. I could not imagine anyone hitting my forehead with his fist, no matter the reason why. This would be a reason for a man to carry a sidearm. 
One evening one of the maintenance men was walking through the emergency room. He looked miserable and Dr. Vandyk asked him “What’s wrong? Aren’t you feeling well?”
The maintenance man said, “I have a miserable sinus headache.”
“Climb up on the bed and sit down.” the doctor directed. “I’ll help you get rid of it.”
The man sat on the stretcher. Dr. Vandyk said, “Take off your glasses.”

The maintenance man did as he was told. He pulled off his glasses and looked to his right to place them on the mattress beside him. When he looked back up, Dr. Vandyk used the heel of his fist and struck the man’s forehead just above his nose and between his eyes. The doctor turned and walked away.
The maintenance man was stunned. Later he told me. “When he hit me, I thought the top of my head was going to blow off. My eyes popped open and I saw stars! After a few minutes, the sinus pressure and headache were gone. It just seemed like everything opened up and drained out, but I’ll never do that again!”

No comments:

Post a Comment