Monday, October 14, 2024

Beasts in the Buckwheat Patch

 Beasts in the Buckwheat Patch
Friday and Saturday I volunteered at the annual Buckwheat and Sausage Festival for the Ohiopyle Fire Department just like I have form ofer fifty years. The differfence this year was that my son Andrew Beck joined me. He picked me up and we rode together. We were able to talk and I shared the history of the places that we passed. It was dark and foggy and sometimes couldn’t seethe spots.
We found a place to park and joined the other volunteers inside of the firehall. Soon we had the griddles heating and more men arrived. It was chilly outside, but soon everyone was in tee shirts. Eventually we had to open the garage doors to cool the room down. It doesn’t take long for twelve 32X18 inch grills to warm a truck bay. When the doors opened, we could see our breath, but the cool air felt good.
Andrew said that he had to slam on his brakes to avoid a deer. On Saturday morning I had to do the same to avoid three deer as they emerged from the darkness and into my headlights. The crowd of diners started out as a rush but lulled into a trickle. We fried and took breaks. Leaning over the waist-high grills causes lower back pain. People weren’t created to stand in that position. Smokey the Bear visited and mingled with the customers. For the most part, even the children enjoyed Smokey’s visit. When the expected crowds thinned, Andrew and I got to come home about three pm. I was glad we’d sprnt the day together and talked.
Saturday as I drove to Ohiopyle, I couldn’t help but notice the fantastic clouds and sunrise. It was impressive and I wish someone would have been with me to take photos to share. There were already a few men were there and we started to heat the griddles. Let the games begin. Wrapped in an apron, the chore of flipping sausage patties went into full operation.
In the early afternoon, a second beaast appeared. It was a large gentleman who donned a Sasquatch costume and worked the crowd, selling photos of himself and customers for $2.00. It was another vendor to add to the others who sold their wares from tents.
I was glad to get home and shower the grease from my body and hair. The wonderful blessing each year is that from the lard, my hands get as smooth as a baby’s bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment