Friday, October 11, 2024

Adjusting

Adjusting
All of us need to adjust sometimes in our lives, whether it happens with folks as newlyweds, with new parents at the birth of a child, or the grief with the death of a parent, sibling, spouse, or God forbid the death of a child. These are major adjustments that we must make in order to continue living. But we must make hundreds of minor adjustments each day; from what to make for breakfast when there’s no milk for our cereal to what to wear when the clothing we wanted is in the laundry waiting to be washed.
During each day we readjust our clothing to fit more comfortably, adjust our seatbelts when we intend to drive our cars, or adjust the channel on the television set changing to the program we want to watch. I’m still adjusting to an experimental medication for a trial study with my diabetes. I’ve tolerated it farlywell. I’ve found several of the side effects are present and discomforting but no severe reactions yet. I’ll continue with the medication until the trail is over in November.
Because the medication is working almost too well, my PCP is worried that my blood sugar is too low, so I’ve halved some of my daily medications and try to adjust my insulin to parallel what I’ve eaten for supper. She would lke my morning fasting blood sugar to be nearer to 100 and sometimes I’ll drop down into the 70’s.
Before I started the experimental drug, if my blood sugar would drop anywhere 100, I would know it and often feel faint. I am careful and always have some candy near at hand.
Later today I plan to go to Ohiopyle to fry sausage for the Sausage and Buckwheat festival. I have volunteered to work there for fifty years, except when health issues have interferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment