Monday, April 22, 2024

 Just What You’re Looking For
Unusual incidents somehow connect with others in my past. In February I purchased a reclining chair to replace a recliner that a spring had broken. Of course the broken spring occurred about two months after the “year warrenty” ran out. I ordered a replacement spring on line. It was the correct length, but not the proper strength. The chair works, but not very well. There are several bolts in the chair that loosen and must br tightened. It is a comfortable chair, so despite all its faults, I kept it and still use it.
Back to the February chair. After the problem with the first chair, I purchased the extended warrenty. Last week I moved the February chair to vacuum around and under it and what to mu wandering eyes appeared but a black single bolt. The head of the bolt had a star shaped opening for a specialized screwdriver. I upturned the February chair to try to find where the bolt came from. I was unable to find a spot in the tangle of metal parts beneath the seat where the bolt had escaped.
I called the furniture company and explained my situation. Because it was so recently purchased and it was still under warrenty, they set an appointment for a technician to come to my home to service it. The appointment day came and so did the technician. We upturned the chair and he knelt behind it, peering into the metal skeleton beneath. We both searched and could see nothing. As a matter of fact, there were no other bolts with the same star shaped heads anywhere in the chair. It seemed to be a strange bolt from some other piece of furniture.
I will share another odd incident that my dad, Carl Beck shared about one of his relatives. She had purchased a brand new 1956 Ford.I can’t remember the model, but soon after she began driving it, she heard a rattle. The rattle irritated her. A brand new car shouldn’t have a rattle. It seemed to be in the doorpost just behind her head. After several trips to the dealership and several times the mechanics insisting that there should be nothing thee to rattle, they finally removed the panel. Inside was a Coke bottle and inside the bottle was a note that read, “I’ll bet you had a hard time finding this one.” I’m wondering if the extra bolt in my chair was tossed in at the fatory without a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment