Wednesday, December 6, 2023

 Cluttered
When I was looking for something in the clutter of my office/computer room/ storage area, I thought “Wow, I really need to clean this up.” Boxes of manuscripts, books, and cartons of photographs and postcards have claimed much of the floor space. Clutter has even topped my ironing board. Yes, my ironing board functions as a third desk. I have to clear off a corner when I want to press something to wear and yes I do still iron some clothing. There are enough natural wrinkles on my body without adding another layer.
Boxes of partial unfinished and a few finished manuscripts fill the knee niche in my second, older desk. It also houses my medications, office supplies, and of course an ever-present junk drawer with items that may just come to be handy somewhere in the future. I’ve managed to toss any old batteries before the begin to leak and have outlived their usefulness.
Right now my computer desk is cluttered with Christmas cards. I’m trying to get them sent out before it becomes too late. One thing that I tossed and wished I hadn’t was the envelope with an address for our associate pastor and family. I forgot to copy his new address since he moved to North Carolina to continue his education.
This leads me to the most cluttered area in my life. It’s my brain. Too many ideas collide, mix, and refuse to make sense at times. That is why I have so many unfinished poems and manuscripts stored in boxes. The ideas begin to flow, then close down. I’m not sure if the creative juices dry up or whether a new thought has grabbed my attention.
I have to keep my calendar up to date. So many things are happening this month, I need to keep the drivers and chaperones for each Wednesday evening for our church straight in my head, two doctor’s appointments, four luncheons and parties. I’m still of the old school. It’s necessary to keep the information on a desk calendar as a back-up for my digital “secretary/alarm clock” on my cell phone. I know I’m an old fuddy-duddy and am resistant to change. It could be why my closet is still filled with outdated clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment