Wednesday, December 27, 2023

 Needs
We all have needs. Our needs appear at different times, in different situations, and for different people. Sometimes we have needs that are an absolute necessity and sometimes our needs are little more than our wishes or desires. Some needs are us wanting to lose weight or finding some free time or even finding something to do in your free time. Just like clothing, needs come in all shapes and sizes. Some needs are universal, like oxygen, water, food, and shelter and are essential for us to survive.
Sometimes the needs are to finish chores around the house, vacuuming, laundry, dusting, doing dishes, or cooking meals and if we’re not careful, those chores can accumulate and cause a backlog to the point that they overwhelm us. The very same thing may happen when things need repaired or fixing. Sometimes when we don’t have the knowledge of how to make the repairs or we don’t have the cash to hire someone to keep up with those repairs, the chores become major problems.
It may seem strange, but I don’t like to talk on the telephone, especially much of my job as a nursing supervisor was using the telephone. Telephone chores included confirming surgeries, giving instructions to patients, or searching for personnel to cover shifts. I don’t know if my fellow workers noticed, but if I could, I would often make rounds to the different areas of the hospital when a telephone call would suffice. It may have been weird, but I had the need to see someone’s face when I talked to them. It was much easier for me to see if what I was saying was being understood. The biggest insult was when the “need” for my assistance as nursing supervisor was changed from an over-head paging system to a pocket-carried voice-pager, then to a cell phone. With the over-head and the voice pager, I could delay answering if I was in the middle of something, but with the cell phone, I wasn’t allowed to use the restroom in peace.
You can ask my kids, when I came home from an especially stressful day, I would allow our home phone to ring until someone else answered it, even if it was right beside me. I’d been drained of my phone tolerance. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment