Monday, December 18, 2023

Feast Days
It’s begun. The Christmastime of overeating has started. Not that I’ve been a glutton, but I have eaten more than I usually do. Friday evening Mt. Zion Community Church held their Christmas potluck gathering and meal. The tables were festively set and the gym was pressed into service. About fifty-five people attended. Three tables were filled with a variety of foods with one table reserved for beverages and one for desserts. The tables were heavily laden with meats, vegetables, stews and pasta dishes. I wasn’t able to take the smallest of spoonfuls to sample each dish, so I limited what I sampled. I chose selectively from the dessert table. After we’d eaten, there was a game and a skit as entertainment.
Saturday afternoon was the annual Christmas banquet for the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society members. We usually held the meal in the evening about six o’clock, but because most of our members are senior citizens, we began to celebrate earlier at one o’clock in the afternoon. Driving at night has become a problem for us older drivers, especially since the introduction of those new blinding blue-white headlights. Oncoming cars can see farther in the darkness, but they too often cause temporary blindness in the older driver’s vision. The last two years we’ve held it in the Cook Township building, the former elementary school building.
The dining area was beautifully decorated by several ladies of the Society. They had the affair catered with very tasty selection of meats, potatoes, and vegetables. Tickets were sold to bid on donated baskets for the “white elephant” sale. The display of items covered three tables ranging from an oil painting, electronic wares, baskets of car care, and baskets of food items. There was a wreath covered in lottery tickets.
I left early because my oldest granddaughter Celine held her eighteenth birthday party and I certainly wanted to be there. She’s become a beautiful young lady. The party was on the far side of Uniontown and would take nearly an hour for me to get there. It was a nice party and of course I had to have a slice of cake and a small scoop of ice cream.
I lingered and had to drive home in the dark facing the onslaught of headlights and the dreaded blue-white headlights. Only one stretch was a bit difficult when there were six cars, one after another with those blinding beams. I did make it home safe and sound, overfed and ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment