Wednesday, December 20, 2023

 Coincidences Sometimes Confuse Me
Coincidences… why do they happen? Sometimes the randomness of them confuses me. The coincidence is an unexpected collision of two or more instances happening at once. The happenstances may have some relation to each other, but others seem to defy logic. Recently I received a pecan fruit cake from the Collin Street Bakery from Corsicana, Texas. I found it in my mailbox. This company makes excellent fruit cakes. They aren’t the bourbon drenched wheels that your Aunt Sarah baked and passed out as Christmas gifts; the heavy super-dense cake that became an heirloom and was passed down to some other unsuspecting relatives years later with it still in pristine condition. Their cakes are 29 % pecans, delicious, and totally flavorful. So now that I’ve given my blessing on that product, I’ll proceed to the coincidence.
I was surprised to see a pecan fruit cake from Collin Street Bakery in my mailbox. I panicked because I thought that I’d sent the fruitcake to my friends in New Mexico. Finding the box with the label from Collins Street Bakery inside, I thought to myself, “Did I make a mistake and send a fruitcake to myself and not to New Mexico? I thought I gave the receptionist at the bakery the correct address to deliver the fruitcake to my friends.” But with the recent “slipped cog” incident, I thought perhaps I was standing on shaky ground.
So as soon as I came into the house, I reached for the phone and dialed the bakery. I began to talk with a lovely lady having a sweet southern accent. She looked up the information from my order from the 8th of December. I read the address and information from the packaging label of the fruitcake box to her. I reviewed the label. It read, “Mr. Tom Beck” and my address. The lady shared with me that the fruitcake I’d ordered had been sent out and delivered to San Jon, New Mexico on the seventeenth of December.
Looking more closely at the label on the packaging I saw a note printed on the corner that address label, “We hope you have a wonderful Christmas.”
It was for me. My friends had also sent a fruitcake to me. For me to receive a fruitcake from the very same company was certainly serendipitous event It was definitely a pleasant coincidence. I hadn’t slipped another cog. Now I just have to remember to send my friends a thank you note.

No comments:

Post a Comment