Sunday, December 11, 2022

Christmas Program 2022

Well, it’s over. All the practicing, learning new song for the choir, the several rehearsals, and the dress rehearsal to prepare us for the Christmas program for 2022 at the Mt. Zion Community Church in Acme, Pennsylvania. The pulpit was moved and the dais was set in the fashion of a living room with a sofa, hall tree, Christmas tree, and other small pieces of furniture for our three act play. The plot was a casual conversation between the grandparents and their three grandchildren as they got ready to celebrate Christmas. The dialogue had a few funny lines, but for the most part the play concentrated on the reason we celebrate Christmas. That was the birth of Jesus.

The program included hymns that were sung by the congregation, but the core of the program was the song written by our assistant Pastor and his wife. The lyrics and musical score were beautiful. The crux of the presentation was found in its title, “What I love about Christmas is Jesus.” The message of the play told about the best gift of Christmas is the birth of Jesus, the Christ Child. Passages of Scripture were read, interspaced with the choir singing, a song by a quartet, and a musical rendition with the young people ringing bells. Of course there were specials by the choir between the acts of the play.

I did my part as a member of the choir, able to come in on cue and hit most of the notes. Even though my voice is deeper, the parts were soprano, alto, and baritone. I struggled to correctly hit the higher baritone notes. As far as I know, I didn’t do too badly. Scanning the audience I didn’t see any fingers in the ears and I didn’t see any of my friends that I’d invited. Perhaps they heard me sing before. I’d been practicing and maybe that helped me keep on key.

I was so glad to see several new faces, and some occasional visitors who came back again for the program,. I was especially glad to see a long time member who’d been absent due to an injury and his extended recovery. I know I wasn’t the only person happy to see him. It was a pleasant evening. Many people stood and talked after the program ended sharing pleasantries.

For Friday evening December 12, 2022 at 6 PM we are having our covered dish Christmas dinner. I was told it will be open to visitors as well. If anyone has attended a “Baptist pot luck” and if you go away hungry, it’s your fault. 

No comments:

Post a Comment