Thursday, December 29, 2022

 Crayon Box
I was reminded of the colors in a Crayon box as I put away a Christmas gift. The box of colored pencils stirred my childhood memories. Each time I sit in front of my computer or pull out my writing pad and pen, I am forced open my brain’s Crayon box. Sometimes I stare at the rainbow of waxy tips trying to decide which one I will pull out and begin to draw the picture I see in my mind. What word will I start my story today? Which order will I place the ideas so they make more sense? Can I place them properly so others can share the picture I see?
Actually I can physically paint and draw well enough to satisfy my needs, but I am in no way an exemplary artist, so I have reverted to presenting a picture by shaping and designing a tale with words. Choosing the correct “colored” word is sometimes a long process, requiring me to erase, change, and intensify a single word to portray what I really want to express. I know the adage says, “A picture paints a thousand words” so I have my work cut out for me each time I try to share a memory, a vision, or a story. There are kits that are “paint by number,” but painting with words is more difficult. I have to consider that you must use your own thoughts and imagination to fill in the shades of colors between the outline that I’ve drawn. I try to share ideas that resonate with others past experiences or that stir their imagination.
Each time I sit to write, I stare at an empty white screen or a clean yellow and blue lined page. I open that brain box and allow my thoughts wander before pulling out the chosen Crayon to make the first stroke. Often my ideas swirl like a kaleidoscope or a maelstrom and I have to wait for something to fall out or wait for something to tempt me, or to impress me enough to put it down on paper. I must choose what to share it with you and then attempt to express it thoroughly enough for you to see my vision.
The cool thing about a Crayon is no matter whether they are old and worn down, they can still be used to create something beautiful. I often feel worn and old, but I do my best to create something beautiful for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment