Friday, May 27, 2022

Check Please

When the register totals more than twenty dollars, I usually pay for my purchases with a check. It is easier for me to say, “Self checkout. Not me.” Self checkout can’t weigh products not prepackaged and priced. They want a shopper to do the work for them without having to pay a checker. They want the shopper to wave a thin plastic wand with a tracking chip inside to pay for the purchases. With the chip, the store can track what you buy, how often you buy, how much you spend, your location, and are given direct access to your bank account. If you think that the federal and state government can’t gain access to the same information, you are unbelievably naïve.

Back to the story; I did something that I have never done before. You’d think I managed to do everything imaginable in my 73 years of life, but no. I’ve always used checks since I was 20 years old or so, but this time…I ran out of checks. I went to the spot where I store my new check books. Move over Mother Hubbard. My cupboard was bare, not even a cobweb inside. It was a Friday when I went to the bank for a reorder. (Free checks and you already know how frugal I am.) Usually the checks arrive in about 7 days, but of course this time it will be at least their 10 day window. I’m hoping for today. We shall see.

What makes it more difficult is that I don’t own a credit card. After my wife Cindy Morrison Beck passed away and my kids left home, I have a few dollars in the bank. Why would I create debt and pay interest if I don’t have the need. I have no idea what my credit rating is. I haven’t gone in debt for anything that they can rate me. The bank gave me several “bank issue” blank checks, but that can be a hassle, having to show my ID and giving out my telephone number. (P.S. if I need to show an ID to purchase certain items or to use a check, others must show a valid photo ID or they don’t get to vote, PERIOD.)

So I’ve been praying all week that Mr. Mailman, bring me my checks. Make them available. I feel naked without them, and me naked is a frightening thought.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment