Friday, February 25, 2022

 

Anyone Else Want to Fricassee Phil?

I must apologize to PETA and ASPCA as well as to the people of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, but enough is enough. I am weary of wearing boots, gloves, hats with ear flaps, scarves, and coats so thick my kids call me the Michelin man, then the very next day I’m looking to see if my shorts still fit and whether I have sunscreen that’s still usable. I’ve eaten woodchuck before and if it was Phil, it would be a delicacy I would enjoy thoroughly.

My only question is, “Why don’t they let Phil sleep?” If he’s in his den and there are no camera lights, the rodent won’t see his shadow and skew the whole idea of more winter or early spring. I am surprised that PETA and ASPCA aren’t protesting the torture of the creature when the “officials” drag him from his warm den.

I volunteer at the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society every week. There, I edit the newsletter, sort and store donations, and try to answer questions posed by visitors. About a year ago, we had several old cookbooks donated. One book had hand written recipes tucked inside. One recipe shared, “How to cook groundhog.” I thought it was amusing and sent a copy to the Punxsutawney Historical Society. Apparently they weren’t amused, because we didn’t get a response from them.

It’s always about this time of year the wood in my stack of firewood starts to dwindle. I try to save enough cordwood to burn for several days in case the power should go out. I have a natural gas stove, so I can cook, but the need for warmth is a necessity. Wearing bundles of clothing only goes so far.

Although most of the tired, dirty snow has disappeared, the grass is still brown, and the trees remain bare. With the rain falling down, it can be depressing, but there is some encouragement. The swans came back to Jacob’s Creek Lake on their migration north and recently, robins have been singing, frolicking, and searching for food in my yard. I’m still waiting to hear flocks of geese in V formation pass overhead. Their return north is a real conformation that spring is here.

I’m so anxious to see new leaves forming, tree buds opening and, daffodils, crocuses, and snow drops raising their heads. I’m longing to feel the sun warm the air and for the hummingbirds to return. Springtime, where are you? I’ve missed you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment